After you're started your semester, you will need to add your subjects, and non-teaching blocks. A quick overview of what this means:
- Subjects are the relatively straight forward. You might teach Grade 11 English, Grade 10 English and Grade 12 World History all in the same semester. These would get their own subject.
- Sections are when you teach the same Subject to the same Grade but different groups of students. For example, you might teach Grade 11 English to two different sets of students at two different times. They have the same Curriculum Sets or Standards attached. Therefore you would have 1 Subject of Grade 11 English, but two sections within it.
- A Non-Teaching Block is a period of time that you'd like to have in your schedule or timetable, but doesn't require any lesson planning. This could be Lunch, Recess or maybe Study Hall.
There will be steps on how to add all three of these to your Semester in this article.
Adding Your Subjects
Select the plus icon on the right hand side.
Select the "Subject" option in the drop down menu that appears.
Click where it says "New Subject" to edit your Subject block.
Name your subject in the Subject Name box.
Select the colour you would like to assign the subject. This is optional if you want to keep the randomly selected colour that it originally has.
Note: You can select more > for more colour options.
Assign Curriculum Sets to your subject. Curriculum sets may be called something different in your school district. For example, Learning Objectives, Standards, Standard Sets, Expectations, etc.
When searching for your standards please include the Grade, Subject and State/Province/District.
Chalk tries to have as many Curriculum Sets as possible. If you cannot find yours uploaded by Chalk Official, you can toggle off the Official Only toggle to search Standards uploaded by other teachers.
Adding Sections to your Subjects
Note: Keep in mind that you only want to add a section if you're teaching the same grade and subject, but to a different class or set of students. You can add as many sections as you want of the same Subject.
In the Edit Subject section, you'll see a little + button next to a Section 1 block. At the beginning you will only have one section, meaning you only teach one class this subject. To add another section, select the + button. A second section will appear. You can add as many sections as you need.
Edit your sections by clicking the pencil icon. Here you can change the title and the colour of your sections.
Adding Non-Teaching Blocks
Select the + icon in the top right corner.
Choose Non-Teaching Block.
Much like the subject, you'll change the name and colour your Non-Teaching Block.
Now create as many subjects, sections and non-teaching blocks that you need in your timetable. In the end, it might look something like this:
Once you have everything set up to your liking, you'll need to scroll down and set up your next step!
- Select Planboard to move onto your timetable and get started on Lesson Planning.
- Select Markboard to start setting up your Assessments.