Binary is a pass/fail, yes/no, all or nothing assessment format, like participation or self-reflections. This means when grading, you either give full marks (i.e. 100%) or no marks (i.e. 0%).
In order to create a Binary assessment select the + icon in the right-hand corner of Markboard.
Here you will be able to set-up your Binary Assessment.
- A: Make sure to name your Assessment to keep track of which assessment is which. Note: This is the only field that must be filled out to save an assessment.
- B: You may notice Out of will not show up in a binary assessment, unlike other assessments, as it is only pass or fail.
- C: Set the due date. The default due date is always the day you’re inputting assessments.
- D: What category does this assessment fall in? Selected category will appear with weighting percentage and coloured, according to the set colour in settings.
- E: Set it as a summative or formative assessment (the default is summative). Formative will have no impact on a student’s calculated grade.
When you’re done these steps, click Create Assessment and it will take you straight to the evaluation page.
For Binary Assessments you still have access to features such as comments, attachments and marking assessments as unsubmitted or late. For a refresher on these options take a look at How do I grade an Assessment?